I just HAD to pay tribute to one of my favorite 80s bands for the Nail Challenge Collaborative’s Music/ Movies/ TV theme. It’s time for my JOURNEY-inspired manicure!
I took my inspiration from the cover of the album, The Essential Journey:
Here’s a clearer shot of the cover I copied off of Spotify:
As you can see, the album cover background almost looks like a combination of a saran wrap manicure with some sponged on details. So that’s exactly what I did for my thumb, index finger, and pinky.
Colors used for those fingers:
- Base color – China Glaze Secret Peri-Winkle, a nice cornflower blue
- Used saran wrap to layer on Color Club Baldwin Blues – a dark teal blue
- Then I sponged on a small amount of Formula X by Sephora Heart-Stopping, a very light lavender with a blueish tint
- More sponging using Essie Play Date – a brighter purple
- Lastly, I sponged on a tiny bit of Julep Aisha – a darker cranberry reddish purple
Then I tried to emulate the beetle with wings from the middle of the cover by doing a water marble using bright colors. Here’s a close up of my middle finger:
- Formula X by Sephora Pyrotechnic – a bright fire red
- Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Sun Kissed – a bright orange
- Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Mellow Yellow – you guessed it, a bright yellow
- Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Blue Me Away! – yup, a bright blue
And another shot of the final look:
So I don’t enjoy it as a complete manicure, but I think it served its purpose paying tribute to Journey. What do you think?
Check out some more NCC manicures: