If you’re not as big of a polish junkie as I am, you may not feel the need to own every holo nail polish out there. A great option is to get a good holographic top coat to help transform the polishes you already have! Then you can still holo all the things!!
I own three holo top coats, and I thought I’d compare them for you today. Things I look for when it comes to holo top coats: linear vs scattered holo, strength of holo, and whether it changes the color of the base color by giving it a grey tint. For my personal taste, I prefer a strong linear holo, and I’m ok with a teensy bit of greying as long as the base color still comes through well.
The three holo top coats I own are:
- I Love Nail Polish My Private Rainbow (L)… this is available in linear (L), scattered (S), and combined (L&S) – I obviously chose the linear one!
- Digital Nails Spectraflair Holographic Topcoat
- Nayll Holy Holo Topcoat (this was included as a kind gift with my purchase of other polishes from Nayll)
So let’s see the three compared to one another:
- Linear vs. Scattered: ILNP & DN are both linear, while Nayll is scattered.
- Strength: Nayll and DN were the strongest, and ILNP was much more subtle.
- Greying: Nayll does transform the base color more than the other two. ILNP shows the base color best.
Thoughts on each top coat:
- ILNP: This one is very pretty, but it’s the weakest holo effect. If you’re not into strong holos, this one really is perfect. It doesn’t transform the base color at all, so you truly get whichever color you pick plus holo! This is $10.
- DN: This one has a linear rainbow holo effect that’s pretty darn strong! You can really see the spectraflair flame in the pic below. It does give a little grey tinge to the base color, but it really doesn’t transform it much. I think this one is $10 as well – it’s not available right now, but there are always restocks.
- Nayll: This is the scattered top coat of the bunch. It’s more of a silvery holo, almost like China Glaze Fairy Dust. I should really try those next to one another! But it’s definitely strong! The drawback of this one is that it greys out the base color the most out of these three. This one is $12.
Here’s another pic at a slightly different angle:
Oh and the color that I’m wearing under all the gorgeous holo top coats is from Pretty Please Nail Polish. Pretty Please is a site where you can choose a certain color polish and customize the name for gifts. I got this one from my cousin, who picked this color and named it “Will U Be My Bridesmaid?” to, well, ask me to be her bridesmaid! What a cute idea right? And this color is so pretty – it’s like a dark grape-leaning radiant orchid!
So anyways, back to the holo top coat battle. My favorite out of this bunch of holo top coats and the winner for me is the Digital Nails one! Which is your favorite? Do you have others that you like better?